Friday, October 06, 2006

Trying to keep up with the Tigers - During the Day!

A day game! I zip downstairs to watch the first pitch in the Compuware Wellness Center, then grab my gym bag and run a mile on the treadmill during the first few innings to watch on the TVs. 1-0 Tigers! Cheers echo through the room when something fun happens – no sounds of the TV, you have to have a radio to pick up the signal, just the regular workout music.

We’ve got the game-cast thing working from MLB.com, even the new 3D version, which was failing. Johnny Damon hits a 3-run homer. No! But we come right back with a run in each of the next three innings! Marie’s been listening and watching, she called a few times, once just to say "Yeah, Zumaya struck out Jeter!"

It would be, check the score, write a paragraph of the specification for work, flip back over and check the score. Or keep typing and then someone from the area would speak a quick update, and we'd flip back to the game-cast.

Then at about 4:00, there were at least 15 people standing in the Wellness center to watch the final inning. Jones gives up a single, but then just attacks the rest of the batters, getting to 0-2 on each, I think. And the pop-out from Damon to end the game and tie the series! WOO! Huge cheers! Very cool.

When I got to my desk there was a message from my team lead, playfully asking how well I was getting along with the spec I was (supposed to be) writing. She knew full-well we'd be watching somewhere!

Game Three is at home and we'll be there!

No comments: